You won’t be able to stop at one slice once you taste this chocolate chia pudding pie! A thick, creamy, chocolate filling made with plump chia seeds and honey sits atop a grain-free, almond flour pie crust. You’ve got to try this grain-free, guilt-free, delicious chocolate pie!
Almond Flour Pie Crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, or salted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups coconut milk* (light or full fat)
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup honey*
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 oz chopped dark chocolate (I used 90%)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut whipped cream, or regular dairy whipped cream, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly butter or grease a 9″ pie plate. Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse lightly. Add the coconut oil (or butter) and egg and continue to lightly pulse until a “ball” of dough is formed. Spread the dough out, using your hands into the pie plate. Use a fork to prick the edges for a prettier crust. Bake the pie crust for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow the crust to cool while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the coconut milk, cocoa powder, cornstarch and sea salt until combined. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add the honey (or sweetener), vanilla and chocolate and whisk to combine. Remove the saucepan from heat, add the chia seeds and stir to combine. Allow the filling to sit for 5 minutes before scraping it into the cooled pie crust. Smooth it out with the back of a spoon and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours (the longer the better).
- Once the pie has cooled, spread the whipped cream over the top and serve.
Make ahead: Prepare the pie crust ahead of time and freeze (covered in saran wrap) and let thaw overnight in the fridge before preparing the filling.
Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Substitute regular milk or your favorite dairy-free milk
- Substitute agave syrup, maple syrup, or your favorite artificial sweetener
* Pie crust recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry