Reveal the secret gender of your new baby to friends and family by letting them bite into fluffy white chocolate gender reveal cupcakes to discover coloured surprise inside! These gender reveal party cakes are just as tasty as they are fun.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 drops pink or blue food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments, for 1-2 minutes, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium-high. Add the sugar and continue to mix until soft and fluffy. With the mixer running on low, add the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Scrape the white chocolate into the bowl, along with the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. With the mixer running on low, add half of the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk slowly, followed by the remaining dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into each cupcake cavity, filling to about 2/3 full. It won’t seem very full to you, but if you fill them too much you’ll end up with overflowing, mushroomed cupcakes! Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a small serrated knife, cut out a 1″ plug from the center of each cupcake, reserving the plug.
- Make the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the butter until creamed and fluffy. Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, along with 1 tbsp of the cream and the vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, or until the buttercream is the right consistency for piping. You want it to be fairly stiff! Remove 2/3 cup of the buttercream to a small mixing bowl, and add the food colouring to this bowl. Use a large wooden spoon to thoroughly mix in the colour.
- Scoop the coloured buttercream into a piping bag, and fill the center of each cupcake to the top. Replace the cupcake’s plug and push down gently until the top of the cupcake is flat.
- Fill the remaining (non-coloured) buttercream into another piping bag to decorate the tops of each cupcake. Top with sprinkles!! Serve, bite, REVEAL!
Cupcakes will keep at room temperature for 3-4 days in an airtight container, or up to 1 week in the fridge. Cupcakes can also be made in advance, prior to icing, and frozen. Thaw at room temperature before decorating.
Keywords: gender reveal cupcakes, baby shower cupcakes, gender party cakes, gender reveal cupcakes ideas