Your morning coffee has never tasted better! These double chocolate peppermint biscotti are SO delicious. They also make for a terrific holiday biscotti gift!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz chocolate, melted (for drizzling)
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint hard candy (6-7 candy canes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, combine the sugar and butter together and mix on medium-high until the butter is light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between. Add the vanilla and peppermint and mix on low until combined. With the mixer continuously running on low, slowly adding the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand with a large wooden spoon.
- Divide the dough into two, and shape each portion into a 12 x 4″ (about 1″ high) log on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let the biscotti rest for 20 minutes before removing to a cutting board and slicing the biscotti, on the diagonal, into 1″ slices.* The more you angle your knife while slicing, the longer your biscotti will be.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 F and prepare two lined baking sheets. Place the cut pieces of biscotti, cut side up, onto the baking sheets and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove, and allow the biscotti to cool completely before drizzling the cookies with melted chocolate and crushed candy.
Biscotti will keep at room temperature, in an air-tight container for 2 weeks, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- In order to prevent crumbling while cutting, fill a spray bottle with room temperature water and lightly spritz all over the baked biscotti, then leave them to sit for about 5 minutes before using your knife to cut slices. The water will soften up the crust just enough that it won’t crumble on you!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: bake
Keywords: chocolate peppermint biscotti // holiday biscotti // christmas biscotti // peppermint biscotti // deep dark chocolate biscotti