Turn that late fall garden produce into this creamy roasted tomato basil soup! Perfect for a chilly day, this easy tomato basil soup is full of fresh ingredients and flavour!
- 2 lb cherry tomatoes*
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 6 cloves garlic (whole)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and combine the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a bowl. Coat and toss with olive oil, then spread the veggies on a sheet pan. Roast for 25 minutes then remove.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat the vegetable broth over medium-high heat in a saucepan on the stove. Once the veggies come out of the oven, add them to the saucepan, along with the tomato paste, oregano and basil.
- Remove the mixture from heat briefly, then use an immersion blender to blend the soup completely. If you don’t have an immersion blender, empty the soup into a blender instead (you might have to do it in batches) and blend it that way before transferring it back to the saucepan. Heat the soup again until simmering, then add the cream and heat for another 5 minutes before serving. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the soup for 2 months!
* I use cherry tomatoes in this recipe but I’ve also made this soup with plum tomatoes and it tastes delicious!
Keywords: easy tomato basil soup // healthy creamy tomato basil soup // homemade fresh tomato soup