You’ve heard of pineapple upside down cake, but have you ever tried a chocolate upside down cake? This rich and delicious chocolate upside down cake recipe can be made either on the stovetop or in the oven!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Spray a 10-11″ pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Sift the ingredients to ensure there are no big lumps of cocoa powder.
- Add the milk and vanilla to the mixture and gently stir. Microwave the chocolate chips on high, for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until smooth and glossy. Add the melted chocolate to the batter and stir until just combined.
- Empty the batter into the bottom of the pan. The batter will be thick, so use a spoon to gently spread the batter around. Mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl, then sprinkle the top of the cake with the topping.
- Pour the boiling water all around the edges of the cake and over the top. Place a lid on the pan, then place the pan on the stove over medium heat. Keep the heat consistent at low-medium temperature to ensure the bottom of the cake does not burn.
- The cake will be done after about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The edges should be slightly pulling away from the sides. Remove the cake from the heat then allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a serving platter (or flipping platter) on top of the cake, then with one swift motion, flip the pan upside down on to the serving platter. Give it a few thumps on the bottom of the pan to make sure it has released from the pan, then lift the pan away
- Make the ganache. Heat up the heavy cream either in a saucepan on medium heat or in the microwave, then add the chocolate chips to the warmed cream. Let it sit for 1 minute, then continuously stir until the chocolate ganache is silky smooth. Pour the ganache over the top of the cake, then serve immediately or allow it to come to room temperature completely before serving.
Leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. You can also store the completely cooled cake (prior to the ganache) in the freezer, in an airtight container, for up to 2 months.
*Use dairy free milk and dairy free chocolate chips for a vegan version of this cake. Coconut milk is best for the ganache.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: cake
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chocolate upside down cake // chocolate upside down cake recipe // stovetop cake