There are many shortbread cookie variations out there, but these chocolate covered shortbread cookies are the best! Switch up the toppings to keep things fun and interesting.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- sprinkles, crushed candy cane, other decorations, etc for topping
- Prepare the cookie dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with both the sugars for 2 full minutes on medium-high, until smooth and creamy. Add the extracts and beat again for another 10-15 seconds. Whisk together the flour with the salt in a large bowl, then slowly add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on low continuously until the dough comes together. Continue mixing on slow until everything is soft and combined. Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, and up to 3 days.*
- Bake the cookies. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove half of the dough from the mixing bowl and form a disc with your hands. Place it between two sheets of parchment paper, or on top of a well-floured surface. Roll the dough out to a 1/4″ thickness. Use cookie cutters in different shapes to cut out the dough and remove it gently to the lined sheets, keeping the cookies about 1″ apart. Repeat with leftover dough**. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until just barely browned on the outsides. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Dip the cookies in chocolate. Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high in 30 second increments, stirring in between until the chocolate is smooth and runny. Grabbing one cookie at a time, dunk it into the chocolate, and use a butter knife or the back of a small spoon to smooth the chocolate over the end of the cookie and scrape off the excess. Place the dipped cookie onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, and immediately decorate with sprinkles, crushed candy cane, etc. Repeat with remaining cookies. Allow the chocolate to completely harden before storing or stacking.
Cookies (once hardened and cooled) can be stacked and stored in an airtight container and kept at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
*If chilling the dough for longer than 1 hour, when you’re ready to bake the cookies, allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before attempting to roll it.
**If the cookie dough is getting too soft and sticky while you’re rolling it out, pop it into the fridge for 15-20 minutes to let it harden up again before continuing.
- Category: cookies
- Method: bake
Keywords: chocolate covered shortbread cookies // shortbread cookies with chocolate on top // chocolate dipped shortbread cookies