If you’ve never tried cherry chocolate scones, you’re missing out! These fresh cherry scones made with zero refined sugars are THE BEST double chocolate scones you’ll try!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 oz fresh cherries, pitted and diced*
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Using a large box-hole grater, grate the frozen butter thoroughly. Add the frozen butter to the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut in the butter until a pea-like mixture is formed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, maple syrup, egg and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir everything together until just combined. Add in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and cherries and stir together.
- Empty the scone dough on to a lightly floured surface, and using floured hands, shape the dough into an 8″ circle. If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour to the dough and/or your hands. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, slice the circle into 8 equal pieces. Place the pieces on the prepared baking pan. Bake the scones for 18-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once you remove the scones from the oven, use a sharp knife to separate the individual scones, and use a spatula to gently remove them from the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Once cooled, melt the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave, heating in 30 second increments until smooth. Drizzle the chocolate all over the baked scones. Enjoy!
Leftover scones will keep at room temperature, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
*You can use frozen cherries, but do not thaw them first!
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cherry chocolate scones // fresh cherry scones // THE BEST double chocolate scones // chocolate scones