The most amazing chocolate bar EVER. Brownie bottom, luscious coconut, creamy caramel and a smooth chocolate topping. BLISS! Perfect for the holidays or any other gathering!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1/2 can (150mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup unwrapped soft caramels (I used Kraft)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line an 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving some overhang to make it easier to remove the bars. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and the egg until mixed. Add in the flour and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the coconut and condensed milk until combined. Pour the coconut layer over the chocolate layer in the pan, and use the back of a spoon to gently and evenly cover the chocolate layer. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the edges are just browned. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the caramel layer.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the unwrapped caramels and the heavy cream. Heat the caramels in 30 second increments, stirring in between until it’s smooth. Pour the caramel over the coconut layer and gently and evenly cover the coconut. Place the pan into the fridge for at least 10 minutes before adding the final chocolate layer.
- In another microwave safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and cream. Heat the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between until smooth. Remove the pan from the fridge, and pour the chocolate over the caramel layer evenly. Sprinkle the bars with sea salt and place back in the fridge until the chocolate is solid, about an hour. Remove the bars by grabbing the edges of the parchment/aluminum foil and lifting it out. Cut into 16 bars.
Bars can be kept at room temperature for up to 1 week, or up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Bars freeze very well, up to 2 months in an airtight container. Remove the bars from the freezer 2-3 hours before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: bake
Keywords: chocolate coconut caramel bars // Christmas coconut macaroons // chocolate caramel coconut // caramel bars recipe