This creamy, comforting chicken pot pie pasta has all the flavors you love from your favorite chicken pot pie, but without the pie crust! It’s a simple weeknight dinner and a great use of leftover chicken.
- 8 oz short-cut pasta (such as penne)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup leftover roasted chicken, diced**
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat on the stove. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 7-8 minutes. Drain the noodles, reserving about 1/4 cup fo the pasta water for later. Set the pasta aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and then add the diced onion, cooking it until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add in the diced carrots and frozen peas, and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Next, add the garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- With the heat on low, sprinkle in the flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then slowly add in the broth and cream. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and allow the mixture to thicken. Next, add in the diced chicken and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked noodles and stir to combine. If you find the pasta is too thick, add in a splash of the reserved pasta water and then continue to stir. Top with extra pepper and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 2-3 days. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight and reheat in the oven or heat straight from frozen.
- You can substitute the fresh thyme for 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Use leftover roasted turkey in exactly the same way
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chicken pot pie pasta // chicken pot pie casserole