A staple of the holiday season, these chewy gingersnaps are a must! For a cookie exchange or just your family, everyone will love these chewy ginger molasses cookies!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all-spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar + more for rolling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter together with both sugars on high until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, egg and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 2 minutes on medium-high, scraping down the sides as necessary. With the mixer running on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients until everything is just combined*.
- Place about 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Using a tablespoon at a time, roll the cookie dough into balls and then roll the dough gently in the granulated sugar, placing the balls a few inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes or until slightly flat and soft, with very slightly browned edges. The cookies will look under-baked! Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes until removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cookies can be stored at room temperature for 1 week in an airtight container, or up to 2 months in the freezer. Cookie dough can also be frozen for up to 2 months and then baked from frozen, increasing the bake time by about 2 minutes.
*If you prefer a more “pillowy” cookie vs a flat and chewy one, chill the dough at this point for 30 minutes before rolling the dough into balls and continuing with step 3.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chewy gingersnaps // chewy ginger molasses cookies! // chewy molasses cookies