This vegetarian skillet is an easy quinoa casserole made meatless! It’s a cheesy Mexican quinoa casserole with salsa, corn and black beans for a fiesta of flavors!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups salsa*
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup jalapeno Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, avocado, lime for garnish
- Place a large skillet on the stove and heat the olive oil on medium-high before adding the jalapeno, garlic, onion and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder and cumin and stir to combine.
- Add the quinoa, salsa, vegetable stock, beans and corn and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid has soaked into the quinoa.
- Remove from heat, and top with the shredded cheese, stirring it around a bit. Top with cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- I’ve only used store-bought salsa for this recipe. If substituting with a fresh salsa, add an extra 1/4 cup vegetable stock to the mixture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: vegetarian skillet // cheesy quinoa casserole // vegetarian quinoa casserole