An easy back-pocket meatless meal full of hearty vegetables and covered in an almond and parmesan crust. This cheesy lentil bake is so soft and cheesy, it’s even perfect for those fussy little eaters!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup red lentils, uncooked
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used 1/2 white cheddar and 1/2 sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9″ pie plate.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the coconut oil until shimmering. Add the diced onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for an additional minute. Add the butternut squash, red pepper and thyme, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the lentils, followed by the vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the lentils have absorbed all of the liquid. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Once the lentil mixture has been allowed to cool for 5 minutes, add the mixture to the eggs along with the cheese. Stir thoroughly to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate, pressing down slightly on the top. Scatter the parmesan cheese evenly over the top, then follow with the almonds. Bake the bake (hah) for 30-35 minutes, or until the bake looks firm and does not jiggle in the center when you give it a gentle shake.
- Remove the bake from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with sour cream or additional cheese, if desired!
Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days, in a covered airtight container.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: toddler food, family food
- Method: Oven
Keywords: lentils for baby // cheesy lentil casserole // lentil recipe baby led weaning