Carrot cake baked oatmeal is the perfect way to wake up! Make a double batch of this healthy baked oatmeal to last all week long. If you love carrot cake oatmeal you will love this breakfast!
- 2 cups old fashioned (large flake) oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk*
- 1 cup shredded carrots (~2 small carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or milk, for thinning
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9″ pie plate or 8×8″ baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. In another microwave-safe bowl, heat the coconut oil until melted. Add the honey, egg and vanilla extract and whisk thoroughly. Whisk in the milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, along with the shredded carrots and chopped nuts. Stir to combine, then empty everything into the greased baking dish. Use a spoon to gently press it all down. Bake the oatmeal for 25-30 minutes, or until the middle of the oatmeal no longer jiggles when you give it a light shake. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese for 1 minute on high, until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and the cream and mix again until smooth. Add either more powdered sugar, or more cream to get the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the frosting all over the oatmeal and serve immediately.
Leftover oatmeal can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 4-5 days. Reheat portions of the oatmeal in the microwave.
*You can use any milk (dairy, non-dairy) you prefer. Using coconut milk will give this oatmeal more of a coconut flavor, which would be just fine in this recipe!
**To double the recipe, use a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: carrot cake baked oatmeal // carrot cake oatmeal // baked oatmeal recipe // morning glory baked oatmeal