Feed your inner kid with this giant blueberry breakfast cookie! It’s a skillet breakfast cookie that’s free of refined sugars and made with whole wheat flour. It’s like an easy breakfast dessert!
- 1 cup rolled oats (large flake)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, room temperature*
- 1 egg, beaten, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries*
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an oven-safe skillet with coconut oil or butter. My skillet is 12″.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, add the melted coconut oil and then add the room temperature maple syrup, whisking together until smooth. It is very important that you use room temperature syrup, not cold. If the coconut oil begins to solidify, heat it up a bit in the microwave and then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the egg, vanilla bean paste (or extract), and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix! Fold in the blueberries gently and then scrape the batter into the prepared skillet. Bake for 17-20 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately! We like ours with vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of honey!
Once cooled, the skillet cookie can be cut into pieces and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, in an airtight container.
- Do not add cold maple syrup (from the fridge) to the melted coconut oil, as the oil will solidify. If it does begin to solidify, place the maple syrup and oil together in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- Substitute blueberries for any other fresh fruit. If using frozen, do not thaw first.Try adding coconut, other fruit, chocolate chips, or even sprinkles!
- I would not use a skillet any larger than 12″. If using a smaller size, increase cooking time by a few minutes, checking to see if it’s done with a toothpick.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: blueberry breakfast cookie // skillet breakfast cookie // healthy breakfast cookie