This easy blackened cajun chicken is a perfect way to cook chicken breasts! Blackened chicken can be served alongside rice or in a salad, or in a delicious pasta!
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1–2 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- optional: lime juice, melted butter for serving
- In a small bowl, combine all of the seasoning ingredients, from the paprika to the pepper, and set aside.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on a cutting board under a layer of wax paper, plastic wrap or parchment paper. Use a meat mallet to flatten the thicker part of the breasts to match up with the thinnest (make the breast(s) a uniform thickness). Season the flattened chicken on both sides, rubbing the seasoning in thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan* or non stick skillet over medium-high heat on the stove, and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Heat the oil until it is hot, about 2-3 minutes. Arrange the seasoned chicken in the pan into a single layer. You may have to do this in 2 batches, in which case you should add more oil.,
- Cook the chicken on one side for about 5 minutes, before flipping all of the pieces to the other side and cooking it for ad additional 5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Once cooked, the chicken should have a blackened “crust” on the one side.
- Once thoroughly cooked, remove the chicken to a plate. Lightly spritz a bit of lime and/or melted butter all over the chicken and slice the breasts immediately to serve.
Chicken will keep, once cooled to room temperature and placed into an airtight container, for 3-4 days in the fridge.
*A cast iron pan creates the best flavour and the best “blackening” but you can also use a nonstick pan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: blackened Cajun chicken, blackened chicken, Cajun chicken