Never buy an overpriced package of jerky again! This is the best beef jerky recipe! Savory, lightly sweetened homemade beef jerky you can make with an oven!
- 2 lbs flank stank (or top/bottom roast)*
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- optional: 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Freeze the meat 1 hour prior to slicing. Remove the meat, place on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, slice the meat (against or along the grain)** in 1/8″ to 1/4″ pieces – be as consistent as possible! Trim all large pieces of fat from the meat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients together. Pour the marinade into a large Ziploc freezer bag, and place the meat in along with the marinade. From the outside of the bag, massage the marinade into the meat and place the bag in the fridge for 4 – 24 hours.
- For oven directions, see the post above. For use with a dehydrator, line the meat onto the trays in a single layer; the meat will dry faster if you spread it out over more trays. Turn your dehydrator up to 160/165 F and dry the meat until it is firm and slightly bendable (about 5-6 hours). Cooking time will vary based on the strength of your dehydrator!
Jerky can be stored in the fridge for 5-6 weeks (in an airtight container) and in the freezer for up to 2 months. I like to keep the jerky in a paper bag for day snacks!
*See my post above for the reasons why I like flank steak!
**See pictures and notes in post above for the reasons to slice with or against the grain.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: snacks
- Method: dehydate
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: best beef jerky recipe // homemade beef jerky // best beef for jerky