Roasted beets, quinoa, goat cheese and juicy citrus makes for the most delicious beet and orange salad! A simple citrus dressing is the perfect addition to these greens.
- 3 small beets, peeled and sliced (or diced)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 6–8 cups baby kale
- 2 sliced and peeled oranges (blood oranges, cara cara or regular navel)
- 1/3 cup healthy candied walnuts
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
Citrus Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp pure orange juice
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle the beets with olive oil and sprinkle the salt over top of the beets. Roast the beets in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until fork tender. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the beets are roasting, cook the quinoa by adding the dry quinoa to 1 cup of water and bringing it to a boil over medium-high heat, then reducing the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from heat and allow it to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the baby kale, oranges, candied walnuts, and goat cheese. Add the cooled quinoa and beets.
- Make the dressing. In a mason jar or leak-proof container, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients together and shake until combined. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Leftover (undressed) salad can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days, if kept in an airtight container. The dressing can be stored at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: salads
- Method: oven roasted
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: beet and orange salad // blood orange salad // orange and quinoa salad // citrus quinoa salad