You will LOVE these baked strawberry donuts made with buttermilk and fresh strawberries. The strawberry glaze icing recipe is so easy and the perfect topping to strawberry donuts!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries, fresh*
- 1/3 cup strawberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and spray the donut pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Melt the coconut oil in a separate bowl in the microwave, then allow to cool for a few minutes until slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla to the coconut oil, and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries; be careful not to overmix. The batter will be very thick.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag and pipe in the donut pan until just full.
- Bake the donuts for 7-9 minutes; mine took 7.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, and then turn the pan onto a wire rack to completely cool.
- While the donuts are baking, prepare the glaze by pureeing the strawberries completely and slowly adding in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and whisking until smooth.
- Dunk the cooled donuts into the glaze 1 by 1, allowing to set on the wire rack for a couple of minutes before eating. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Donuts are best if enjoyed immediately, but will keep for up to 2 days in an airtight container. The glaze will begin to melt into the donuts after a day or so if left at room temperature.
- If you do not have or want to use coconut palm sugar, you can substitute for granulated sugar
- If you do not have buttermilk, can you substitute by adding 4 1/2 tsp of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of whole milk.
- Frozen strawberries can be used as long as they are pre-diced; do not allow them to thaw before using them in the batter
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: strawberry donuts // baked strawberry donuts // strawberry glaze icing recipe