These banana oatmeal breakfast cookies are made with zero added sugar, so they’re the perfect healthy breakfast cookie for toddlers AND adults! They’re a chewy banana oatmeal cookie made with apple butter and dates for natural sweetness.
- 1 large overripe banana
- 6 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup natural smooth peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup apple butter*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a food processor, blend the dates with the banana until combined into a “dough” ball. Add the peanut butter, apple butter, oats, salt, cinnamon, pepitas, raisins and hemp hearts and pulse a few times until combined. Do not overmix!
- Using 2 tbsp of dough at a time, shape 9 baby-sized cookies and place on the baking sheet; cookies will not spread so you can place them fairly close together.
- Mommy cookies: Add the chocolate chips, cranberries and flax into the remaining dough. Using 1/4 cup of dough, shape 6-7 larger sized cookies onto the other baking sheet.
- Bake the baby cookies for 13-14 minutes and the larger cookies for 15-16 minutes or until the edges are firm and slightly brown
- Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- *You may use another nut butter if you prefer; almond butter would be great here. I have not tried these cookies with non-natural peanut butter, but it should work fine.
- *You may use a different fruit butter, or applesauce, but using applesauce will make the cookies a bit more crumbly
- *These are only ideas! You can try all sorts of mix-ins as long as you keep it to about 3/4 cup. I’ve placed the cranberries in the “Mommy” section as they contain added sugar, and the flax is here because too much fiber is not great for babies under 1.
- *You may make these cookies all for baby or all for Mommy; simply skip step 4 or step 6 accordingly
- *For additional sweetness add 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup to the dough. Be sure not to give honey to children under the age of 1.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: banana oatmeal breakfast cookies // apple butter cookies // healthy breakfast cookies and bars