The perfect small chocolate cake recipe to celebrate! This mini chocolate cake for two is a 6 inch chocolate cake recipe. The ideal size for an anniversary celebration!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil (vegetable or grapeseed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder*
- 2 oz chopped dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
Cream Cheese Icing*
- 2 pkg (500 grams) full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 6″ springform cake pan with parchment paper, and spray with non-stick spray. Dust lightly with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until combined. Whisk in the egg, instant espresso powder, and melted chocolate. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, then add half of the buttermilk, stirring together. Add the remaining half and stir until thoroughly combined and there are no lumps. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not under bake, as you will end up with a sunken center!
- Allow the cake to completely cool before icing.*
- Prepare the icing. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese with the butter on medium-high speed until combined. Add half of the powdered sugar, along with the vanilla extract and mix. Add the remaining half of the powdered sugar and beat until just combined; the icing will be fairly stiff.
- Ice the cake! If you will be serving the cake the same day, store it at room temperature, preferably covered. If serving in the next day or two, keep the cake (covered) in the refrigerator.
Leftover cake will keep at room temperature, in an airtight container, for 1-2 days, or in the fridge for 4-5. Cake can also be frozen prior to frosting. Wrap the cake (once cooled) tightly in plastic wrap and store for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before icing.
- Espresso powder brings out the chocolate flavour; your cake will not taste like coffee. Optional, but highly recommended!
- This recipe made just enough cream cheese icing to add a middle layer to the cake, and substantial decorations on the outside. If you’re simply icing the outside (no middle layer) you may halve the recipe ingredients.
- I created a “2-layer” cake by slicing the cake in half with a serrated knife once it had cooled.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: small chocolate cake recipe // anniversary cake ideas // mini chocolate cake recipe