Nutty, chewy bulgur is cooked with espresso and almond flavours to kick-start your morning with a delicious alternative to oatmeal. Top it with whipped cream for a special treat!
- 1/2 cup red or golden bulgur
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- whipped cream, chopped almonds for topping (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the bulgur, almond milk, and vanilla and almond extracts. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once it has reached boiling, add the espresso powder and whisk to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.*
- Once the almond milk has been absorbed, remove the pot from heat and whisk in the maple syrup. Serve immediately, topped with whipped cream, chopped almonds, fruit, or granola.
Leftover bulgur can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2 days.
- Less cook time will result in a chewier, tougher grain.