In the world of air fryer appetizers, these air fryer coconut shrimp are among the best! This is a healthy coconut shrimp recipe with an easy sweet chili Thai sauce!
- 1 lb jumbo raw shrimp, peeled (tail on)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- non-stick cooking spray
Thai Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek paste
- 1/4 cup water + 1 tbsp, divided
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour with the salt, pepper and paprika. In another bowl, place the eggs, and in a third bowl, combine the panko crumbs with the coconut.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Once preheated, begin dipping the shrimp, first in the flour mixture, then the egg, then the coconut. Be sure to press the shrimp firmly into the coconut to be sure it sticks. Repeat with remaining shrimp, placing 6-8 shrimp in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd the shrimp! You may have to cook it in 2 batches. Spray the coconut shrimp with the non-stick spray, then close the lid of the air fryer and cook for 4 minutes. Open the lid of the air fryer, gently turn the shrimp, spray them again and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and fully cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the basket and repeat with the second batch, if necessary.
- While the shrimp is cooking, whisk together the rice vinegar, honey, sambal oelek paste and 1/4 cup water into a medium-sized saucepan placed over medium-high heat. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then combine the cornstarch with the remaining water, adding it to the mixture. Turn the heat to low and simmer the sauce until thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Serve the shrimp immediately, with the dipping sauce on the side.
Shrimp is best enjoyed immediately, but leftover shrimp and sauce can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 2-3 days. To reheat the shrimp, microwave it for about 30 seconds.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: air fryer
Keywords: air fryer coconut shrimp // healthy coconut shrimp // air fryer shrimp recipes // air fryer shrimp