Looking for the best all butter pie crust recipe? This is a 3 ingredient pie crust made with only butter, no shortening!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup COLD unsalted butter, cubed*
- 1/4 cup ice water**
- To a food processor or large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter and either pulse a few times with the processor, or use a pastry cutter (or two forks) to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble a pea-like structure before you add the water.
- Adding 1 tablespoon at a time to the mixture, gently process in the food processor, or mix the water in with a fork. After the 4th tablespoon of water, the dough should begin to form large clumps and comes together easily. Do not add any more water than this!
- Empty the dough on to a lightly floured surface and pack the dough into a ball. Press the dough down into a 1″ disc and then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours (and up to 3 days) before removing it to roll out into a circle for your pie!
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10″ circle. This pie crust is perfect for a 9 or 9 1/2″ pie plate. Once you place the pie crust into the pie plate, prick the crust a few times with a fork. You can add your filling right to this pie crust and then bake!
Extra pie crust can be stored in the freezer, once shaped into a flat disc and wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
*See my blog post regarding the importance of keeping your ingredients cold. Once cubed, keep the butter in the freezer until you’re ready to incorporate it into the recipe.
**Fill a measuring cup with very cold water, then add a few cubes of ice into the cup. Keep the cup in the freezer until you’re ready to incorporate it into the recipe, using a tablespoon of the ice water at a time.
***If you need 2 pie crusts for your recipe, just double this recipe and then divide the dough into 2 portions before rolling them each into a ball, and flattening them into discs.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: all butter pie crust // 3 ingredient pie crust