Homemade 3 ingredient mac and cheese?! It’s not too good to be true! This creamy stovetop mac and cheese is all done in one pot and can be yours in 20 minutes!
- 1/2 lb (8oz) short-cut pasta
- 1 cup (8oz) evaporated milk
- 2 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a medium saucepan on the stove, add the pasta. Add just enough water to the pasta so that it is barely covered. Turn the heat up to max and bring the water to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer and cook until the pasta is al dente, stirring every so often.
- If there is a lot of water left in the bottom of the pot, drain the pasta, then add the pasta back to the pot. If there is only a tablespoon or two of water left in the pot, you can keep it in the pot and continue with the next step.
- Add the evaporated milk and stir for a few minutes until it heats up. Add all of the cheese, stirring to combine. The mixture will be quite runny at first, but continue stirring until things thicken up. It may take a few minutes but eventually it will keep thickening up and turn into creamy, dreamy mac and cheese!* Enjoy immediately with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. The best way to reheat the mac and cheese is to add a bit more evaporated milk and heat it up again until smooth and creamy.
*If the mac and cheese is not thickening up appropriately, you can drain a bit of the evaporated milk off and add a bit more cheese, continuing to stir until things do thicken up.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: 3 ingredient mac and cheese // stovetop mac and cheese // one pot mac and cheese // easy mac and cheese