Movie night just got sweeter! On a cold winter night, what’s better than kicking back on the couch with a good flick and a (BIG) bowl of buttery, salty popcorn? Well, maybe all of the above plus a glass of wine. BUT I’ve got an even better idea. What if that salty popcorn was sweetened up a bit and then covered in white and dark chocolate drizzle? Now we’re talking!!
My husband doesn’t really care for popcorn…what!? It feels weird even saying that out loud. Who doesn’t like popcorn? Anyway, he definitely likes THIS popcorn. I had to smack his hand a few times just to get some photos of the stuff before it was all gone. Needless to say, it didn’t make it to movie night. Unluckily for our waistlines, it’s super easy to whip up another batch!
You start by popping up some plain, unsalted popcorn. I always use my Whirley Pop for our popcorn. I grew up with this popcorn maker, and have so many fond memories of my Dad turning the crank in the kitchen on a weekend night or a Sunday afternoon. Popcorn was big in our house!!
Once the popcorn is popped it’s covered in a sweet coating (essentially just butter and sugar) and then baked in the oven.
Here’s where you can get creative! For the domino effect I stick with dark and white chocolate chips, but I’ve also experimented with peanut butter chips, and combinations of white and butterscotch chips. Mmmm…the possibilities are endless!Tweet and tell about this popcornClick To Tweet
The popcorn is best enjoyed 1-2 days after making it, but will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
Yield 10-12 cups
Sweet and salty, this popcorn is the perfect late night or date night snack
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10-12 cups plain unsalted popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and prepare a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Pop 10-12 cups of plain, unsalted popcorn. This is about ½ cup of kernels or a regular size bag of microwave popcorn. Place the popcorn in a large bowl
- In a saucepan, melt butter with the brown sugar, bringing it to a boil. Boil for approximately 2 minutes. Add water and stir.
- Quickly drizzle the syrup over the popcorn and using a large spoon, toss the syrup to coat.
- Spread the coated popcorn onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the popcorn. Bake the popcorn for about 30 minutes, turning it occasionally. Remove from oven and let it cool, about 10 minutes.
- While the popcorn is baking, first melt your dark chocolate using either a double boiler or the microwave. If using the microwave, be sure to heat the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between to avoid seizing. Spoon the chocolate into a heavy medium sized freezer bag. Repeat with white chocolate and another freezer bag.
- When the popcorn is cooled, snip a small hole in one corner of each bag of chocolate and drizzle evenly over the popcorn. Allow to cool until chocolate is hard. The popcorn can be placed in the fridge to speed up cooling process. Enjoy! (Then repeat steps 1-6).
Make this domino popcorn and hashtag #loveinmyoven on Instagram so I can see your creation! Follow @loveinovenblog