Hello! I’m so excited to introduce you to one of my favourite go-to meals. Crockpot Italian beef sandwiches!! I make these quite often for my family, especially during the winter when I’m craving a warm, hearty meal. It’s a total dump-and-go recipe, taking less than 10 minutes to throw together. Perfect for a busy weeknight!
We’ve been needing some cozy meals these days, with the weather getting quite cold and snowy. Winter is here! Did I mention that we’re going to Mexico soon?! I can’t WAIT. We’re going to Cancun to enjoy some fun in the sun, and my anticipation grows every time it starts to snow again.
I’m nervous about the flights with the kids, so I’ve been trying to come up with some strategies to keep them entertained on the plane. Snacks, coloring and movies will all be party of my bag of tricks. Our first big trip with all three kids should make for some interesting memories!
We haven’t left yet, but I’m already thinking ahead to our return, when I’m going to need some easy dinners for those first few nights before we can get all of the groceries! You can bet this crockpot favourite will be on the menu.
I don’t follow Canadian football much, but it looks like I did time this post (purely coincidentally) perfectly for the upcoming Grey Cup! If you’re hosting a few friends for dinner to watch the game, this would be the perfect dippable beef sandwich to serve up. You can even add beer to the broth! I’ve included the notes for this in the recipe below.
If you’re not a big fan of pepperoncini peppers, you don’t have to eat them with your sandwich but I do insist that you use the juices for the broth – it just wouldn’t have the same bite without it! I’ve also used the juice from a jar of banana peppers with success.
Wish me luck on my flight – I fear I’m going to need it!!
Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
Yield 6-8 sandwiches
Tender, juicy beef marinated in punchy pepperoncini peppers and beer and served up on a toasty warm bun smothered in cheese. The easiest dump-and-go meal, perfect for game night or any other busy weeknight!
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 can beer (or additional cup of beef stock)
- 1 12oz jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- pepper jack cheese, for serving
- hoagie rolls, for serving
- To your crockpot, add the beef stock, beer (or additional stock), and half the juice from the jar of pepperoncini. Mix together the garlic and onion powder, oregano, sugar, pepper, basil, parsley and salt. Add the spice mixture to the crockpot and give it a stir. Add the onion, followed by the roast. Cook the roast on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and using two forks, shred the meat and return it back to the slow cooker for 10-15 minutes along with a few pepperoncini peppers, if desired.
- To serve, slice open the rolls, add the shredded meat and top with cheese; broil on high for a few minutes if desired. Use the broth from the slow cooker for dipping!
Leftover meat should be stored separately from the broth, in a sealed container in the fridge.