Hi guys! I had to think a little bit about what I wanted to call this one. Cheesy one pan Mexican quinoa? One pan Mexican cheesy quinoa? Cheesy skillet Mexican quinoa? Nothing sounds right to me. So we’re going with Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Skillet. It’s settled. Oh, food blogger problems.
For those of you who are still celebrating Memorial Day long weekend, I hope you’re having a great time and enjoying fabulous weather. We Canadians are sadly back to work today (womp, womp) BUT at least we get to celebrate Meatless Monday. I know, I know, it pales in comparison to a long weekend, but maybe this skillet will brighten things up a bit.
We ate this on Saturday night and it went down great. We had a big day of Mexican, for whatever reason. We bbq’d chorizo on the grill for lunch, devoured this skillet for dinner, and then feasted on a late night fireside queso fundito with margaritas in the evening with some friends. Lots of spice. Etienne and I both had to take an antacid in the morning, hah!
What did you get up to this weekend? Other than stuffing ourselves with food, we bought all of our plants and flowers and got the garden going. And by we, I really mean Etienne. I did a little bit, but I was easily distracted – these sunflowers were begging me to take pictures of them.
Oh, and remember the book I told you about in my 10 Thoughts the other week? I finished it! So good. I felt a bit sad when it was done, like I was saying goodbye to an exciting new friend I’d just met. I definitely need to take a break from reading so I can get some things done!
Anyway, let’s talk about this skillet. I am in love with one-pan meals these days, especially ones that come together in 30 minutes or less. Lately I’ve been slacking on doing my supper prep while the boys are sleeping in the afternoon, and instead I spend my time catching up on some blog stuff, or by reading a really good book in the sunshine outside! BLISS. The problem with this is that 4:30pm rolls around and I realize I have nothing ready for dinner and the boys are going to be hangry very, very soon. Enter the 30 minute meals!
This one is super easy, and you’ll likely already have everything you need for it in your fridge or pantry. Plus, it’s chalk full of healthy things. Black beans, onion, diced bell pepper, corn, and quinoa! The jalapeno adds a little bit of kick, but my family didn’t find it overly spicy. If you’re trying to keep things super healthy, you can even skip the cheese and it would still taste great.
Our dinner was ready in 30 minutes, start to finish. And all in one pan!! You can’t beat that. Happy Meatless Monday everyone!Excited about trying this skillet? Click to tweet!Click To Tweet
Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Skillet
Yield 4 servings
A hearty, healthy vegetarian Mexican dish that's prepared all in one pan and ready in 30 minutes!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups salsa*
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup jalapeno Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, avocado, lime for garnish
- Place a large skillet on the stove and heat the olive oil on medium-high before adding the jalapeno, garlic, onion and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder and cumin and stir to combine.
- Add the quinoa, salsa, vegetable stock, beans and corn and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid has soaked into the quinoa.
- Remove from heat, and top with the shredded cheese, stirring it around a bit. Top with cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- I've only used store-bought salsa for this recipe. If substituting with a fresh salsa, add an extra 1/4 cup vegetable stock to the mixture.
Recipe originally adapted from Damn Delicious.
Pin this recipe for your next Meatless Monday!
Shop today’s recipe